by Suzan Lang ~ recipe and image by Minimalist Baker
I was searching for a recipe that would satisfy my sweet tooth that did not have cane sugar in it, plus be a nourishing snack. These little gems are really delicious.
1 cup packed pitted dates (medjool is best)
2 cups raw walnuts
6 Tbsp cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder (plus more for rolling)
3 Tbsp hemp seeds (plus more for rolling)
1/4 tsp sea salt
3 Tbsp creamy almond butter (or other nut or seed butter)
1 Tbsp melted coconut oil
Optional: birch xylitol + vanilla extract to taste
- Add dates to a food processor and pulse/mix until small bites remain or a ball forms. Scoop out and set aside.
- Add walnuts to the food processor and pulse into a fine meal. Then add cacao powder, hemp seeds and sea salt. Pulse a few more times to combine. (Don’t overmix or the walnuts will turn into butter.)
- Add the dates back in along with the almond butter and melted coconut oil (optional). Mix/pulse to combine. The result should be a moist dough-like mixture. If too wet, add a bit more cacao powder or hemp seeds.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Then scoop out rounded Tablespoon amounts and carefully form into balls. The dough will be somewhat fragile, so use the warmth of your hands to gently form/roll them into balls. There should be about 20 energy bites total.
- Roll in extra hemp seeds or cacao powder (optional). Note: The bites get a fudgy, sticky outer texture when rolled in cacao powder; for less sticky energy bites roll in hemp seeds.
- Store leftovers in a well-sealed container in the refrigerator up to 1 week or in the freezer up to 1 month.
Suzan Lang is the Team Manager for Awakening Women. She is grateful that she can fulfill her dharma in such a flexible, easeful work environment with supportive, brilliant teammates…all while being of service to Her. AwakeningWomen.com
[shareaholic app=”recommendations” id=”28127596″]